Sunday, August 30, 2009

wildfires, rivers, and the book of practical pussies


When I was in Marshall, NC in July I bought The Book of Practical Pussies with drawings by Michelle Rollman (Krupskaya/Tender Buttons 2009). The night was warm and wet with rain, and the river that runs next to the Lapland Bookshop mysterious and dark. Light from the window I looked out of was in the water. The book was pink and bright. Later, driving home, my mother and I got a little lost in the mountains. Tonight, wildfires are burning in the mountains outside Los Angeles. The flames are orange and huge, and from my neighborhood, I can see them in the distance. They've reached 80 feet. Fire, reading, drawings, the bodies of cats. I like this book. The cats are human, sexual, funny, tender, not vulnerable (maybe that's what makes them not human). One of them wears a bra and looks like it has flames for ears. Others unselfconsciously show their anuses, their pussies. Cats of death are there too. Then there are the texts that illustrate the drawings. I think they show the vulnerability of loving animals. My favorites are by Lee Ann Brown, Jocelyn Saidenberg, Dodie Bellamy, and Camille Roy.

Nursery Rhyme
Lee Ann Brown

I love little pussy
Her coat is so warm
And if I don't hurt her
She'll do me no harm

No comments: