Friday, December 18, 2009

Three things to listen to, and one to listen to and watch.

Lately I've been listening to readings and recordings from the Naropa Audio Archive, Penn Sound, and UbuWeb while I cook dinner, wash dishes, or clean the house. It's been nice to accompany these chores with this listening, though it probably doesn't do much in the way of me focusing in on one activity with presence. Still, I've enjoyed it, and have then been sharing some of the recordings with my students. In my listening, I have especially enjoyed:

* Judith Goldman's A Voice Box recording from the New Reading Series in Oakland this past June. She is such an amazing performer of her work-- slow, sometimes fast, as the writing necessitates. I like her Ceptuetics reading/interview too.

* Bhanu Kapil's Left Hand Reading Series/Boulder recording from 2001. She reads from The Vertical Interrogation of Strangers, from a series of stickers, and from what went on to be her current book on the wolf girls of Midnapore, Humanimal. I love Bhanu's writing, and I find her voice to be relaxing too. A kind of active resting place, where certain parts of oneself are traveling, and other parts get to sink down.

* Diane di Prima's July 1978 Naropa reading with Amiri Baraka and Robert Duncan (the whole reading is pretty great, and multiple times I've shared it with my classes). Among other things, di Prima reads an excerpt from Loba. Strong voice; fierce woman; one to look up to.

* Jesse Seldess' "End," from Little Red Leaves 4 . Another excellent reader/performer of his work, Jesse's video is just as satisfying to watch as to listen to; the way he taps the words he says, giving himself time to find them, and the rhythm that comes out of that.

Of course there is a lot more, but here are a few.

No comments: